Sorry for the lack of study updates recently, it has been a busy few weeks. It started with a weeks worth of media coverage of our community pharmacist study that we have just launched in various pharmacy publications – who would have known a project not even completed could create so much interest? For this Jane, Marjorie and I are so very grateful and very excited – we hope there is just as much interest next year when we have data to publish.
In between that I have been testing participants for the student study. We are now up to 40 students through the first experiment so we have almost hit our total for the first study (52). I am hoping we get our last few recruits soon because I cannot wait to look at our data. The database is looking so lovely and full – it’s odd, but to me it really is a thing of beauty. This is probably because I know how many hours of hard work has gone into filling the database and it’s amazing to see the slow but sure outcome of all our efforts.
With regards to the community pharmacist study, the big news is that we got ethics a couple of weeks ago and I have now sent out information about the study (as of today) to pharmacy chain CEOs and superintendent pharmacists, to ask their permission for me to do research with their organisation before I contact their local and regional pharmacy managers about it. The independent pharmacy and small pharmacy chain letters are in process too and I hope I will get them out tomorrow. So we are definitely on a roll.
In between that I have been doing a lot of demonstrating work – which is basically a teaching assistant role for university workshops. I love these sessions – even when I do the same session several times over with different groups of students. However, it does take me out of the lab for hours at a time, and/or away from my desk and so I have noticed that my research time has more than halved in the last few weeks. There are only a few more weeks left of teaching for me now until next October, so I am making the most of it because I really do enjoy working with the students.
In the odd moments of calm I have also been busy working with Jane and Marjorie and some of our other colleagues on papers and grant proposals.
How I have found time to do all this I just don’t know, in fact now I read this it is no wonder I have felt like a headless chicken the last few weeks. Ironically, my mental workload has been very high at times (mostly due to time pressure) and I have noticed myself missing things, doing things wrong or forgetting to do things. So it’s not only pharmacists that may be affected by mental workload, it may be researchers too!
So as you can see it has been an amazing few weeks, busy, but in the best of ways. I have yet to have time to listen to the second installment of the Prof James Reason medical errors BBC radio 4 programme that I wrote about here. I hope I get to listen to it by the end of the week and I will write about it then!